With each New Year, most people to do two things …
- Review what happened the previous year
- Make goals for the upcoming year
So, with my first post of this New Year, I thought I would review some of the topics I have written about that I would really consider some of the DBA basics. Additionally, this post could provide a basic framework for training a new DBA or just a reminder of some of the things a DBA should be doing.
SQL Server installations
Database maintenance tasks
- Backups: https://sqlbadboy.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/what-should-i-be-doing-as-a-dba/
- Integrity checks: https://sqlbadboy.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/corruption-its-always-bad/
- Index maintenance: https://sqlbadboy.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/find-data-quickly-by-using-indexes/
Basic monitoring of SQL Server environment
- Finding failed jobs: https://sqlbadboy.wordpress.com/2012/10/12/what-happened-last-night/
- Identify servers low on storage space: https://sqlbadboy.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/storage-space-check-it-and-plan-for-growth/
- Free tools: https://sqlbadboy.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/dont-re-invent-the-wheel/
- Monitoring tools: https://sqlbadboy.wordpress.com/2013/05/03/sql-server-monitoring-tools/
Hopefully, this review of previous posts can help some to plan goals for this upcoming year!